The Arts and Sciences (ASC) Honors Peer Mentor Program provides sophomores, juniors, and seniors with the opportunity to serve as a resource for first-year students in the ASC Honors Program. The Peer Mentor Program will be integrated into the ASC Honors survey class during autumn semester 2020. In survey class, Peer Mentors will assist academic counselors in leading discussions on a variety of topics. Peer Mentors will also work together and with academic counselors to develop an interactive presentation/discussion for survey class on transition issues and adjusting to college life. Throughout the academic year (2020-2021), Peer Mentors will also provide information and support to first-year students.
Students who are comfortable sharing their own experiences and challenges in adjusting to college life (whether academically/socially/etc.) and students who are good listeners may be particularly well-suited to the Peer Mentor role.
- Share what you have learned from your own experiences, and learn from the experiences of others.
- Learn more about campus resources designed to promote student success.
- Improve your public speaking and communication skills.
- Get to know other students in the ASC Honors Program.
- Get to know academic counselors and learn more about career opportunities in higher education.
- Earn internship credit, if willing to commit to internship course requirements (optional).
- You must have completed at least one year at Ohio State before autumn semester 2020 begins.
- You must be a member of the ASC Honors Program in good standing.
- You must not be graduating earlier than spring semester 2021.
- During autumn semester 2020, you must be available to attend one section of survey class each week. If selected to be a Peer Mentor, you will be notified of the survey class times so that you may schedule accordingly for autumn. (You will then be assigned to a survey class based on your availability and the staffing needs of the program.)
- During autumn semester 2020, you must be available to attend one training session per week: either Mondays at 4:10-5:05pm or Thursdays at 5:20-6:15pm.
- Attendance at ASC Honors survey class during autumn semester 2020.
- Development and hosting of at least two peer mentor-led events for survey students during autumn semester 2020.
- Attendance at three training sessions in late March/early April 2020. You will be expected to attend once a week, on either Mondays (4:10-5:05pm) or Thursdays (5:20-6:15pm).
- Willingness to field questions from first-year students throughout the academic year (2020-2021).
- Attendance at weekly trainings held throughout autumn semester.
How to Apply:
The Peer Mentor Application will be available now.
Applications are due by 5:00pm on Monday, February 3, 2020.
If you have questions, please contact Joanna Spanos at email@example.com.
Interviews will be held in late February 2020.
Selections will be based on applicants' qualifications and availability. The needs of the program will dictate the number of Peer Mentors chosen to participate in the 2020-2021 Peer Mentor Program.